These are an important aspect of any big event. It’s crazy to think how much they transform your eyes and your face for that matter. No wonder all the youtube/instagram girls wear them all. the. time. Not to mention Kim K, Katy Perry and Twiggy who started the phenomenon! It’s such a difference compared to regular mascara!
I don’t wear falsies on the regular (thank goodness). But I have a few pairs that are just “voluminous” or “natural” looking so I thought I would shake some cobwebs off my skills and wear them a few times this past weekend. I didn’t have a party or anything crazy to go to- I wore them to cocktails with the girls, then to Gone Girl the next day (don’t judge me). I probably was the most fabulous looking chick in that movie theater. Nah, probably not- but I did wear my Nike high tops which are pretty dang bomb. Back to the point- I’ll go through each of the phases and steps to successful falsies.
1. I first put the lashes up to my natural lash line. Normally for me, I always have to cut them with tiny scissors or nail clippers a TINY bit because they are a tad longer than what fits on my own lashes. I didn’t know this at first and would always just try and go for it. Don’t try it, doesn’t work. Clip them if you need to where they fit along your own line.
2. Take both edges of the lash and bend inward to create a “C” shape, and hold for a couple of seconds. This is the easiest way to ensure smooth application and make sure the lashes match the natural curve of your eye.
3. Put on one coat of mascara. Doesn’t have to be crazy- just a normal coat so the lashes can adhere to your own better.
4. Apply the glue that came with your lashes OR you can buy glue such as DUO Eyelash Adhesive. If you have a steady hand, you can squeeze straight from the tube onto the strip. Usually the glue comes out bubbly and streaky for me so an easy trick: put glue on the reverse end of your tweezers and glide it across the strip. Be generous at both the inner and outer corners so the glue won’t unstick when you blink.
5. So once the glue is lined along the false lash line- wait about 10-20 seconds. I do this just so it gets a little thicker/stickier and makes it easier for it to stick to your lashes.
6. K, ready for the toughest part? You can either use tweezers for this or your own fingers. I prefer tweezers because I personally don’t like touching the false lashes and clumping them. If you’re using your hands, place the lashes on the base of your lashes right on top of your own lashes. Tweezer method: Take your tweezers and pick the falsies up on the opposite side of the strip, right in the center of where they will adhere to your lash line. Place them in the center of your own lash line, as close to the base of your natural lash line as possible but not touching the eyelid. Now, most will have a natural curve to them so they might just fit perfectly on yours without you having to do anything. Great, welcome to the 1% of times that has ever happened to me! The other 99%, I usually have to make sure once the center is in place and not going to go anywhere, take the tweezers, grab hold (lightly) to somewhere to the right or left of the center and push the falsies onto your own lash line. Sometimes I have to hold it there for a few seconds and make sure everything is staying in place. Be light about it and be patient!
7. Once the false lashes are on, they will feel weird if you haven’t worn them before (and even if you have, they always feel a little weird to me, like a wig on my lashes or something). They feel kind of heavy and I always think everyone is staring. If they are staring- it’s probably because your lashes look fantastic. Apply one coat of mascara to your new and improved lashes. I always feel like this is sealing the deal because it brings everything together.
8. If the false lashes didn’t get applied directly right onto the lashes, a thin application of black liner or black matte eye shadow as a liner to cover and blend everything together. This also helps the glue dry more quickly.
9. Voila! Now that you’re done, look in the mirror and admire! Bat those babies and practice your smile!
Good luck! Lesley